Released January, 2000
The Pros:Extensive set of manual controls enables professional results. Optical image stabilization is largely superior to that of competitors' models, virtually eliminating jitter effects. Color is warm and natural, with deep blacks.
The Cons:Minor problems with sound quality if volume is low or in settings with high levels of noise, and no manual audio controls. Produces mixed results in low-light conditions.
The Canon GL1 is a high performance MiniDV professional camcorder that is suited for applications such as videography, film making, shooting for the Web, or simply capturing family memories. This lightweight camera balances form and function to create an extremely flexible camera that is simple to operate, yet capable of dazzling any audience.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
It records only a standard MiniDV cassette which gives 500 lines of horizontal resolution, 25% better than the best analog formats. It features a 20x Professional L-Series Fluorite optical zoom lens with a 100x digital zoom capability, and the optional WD-58 Widewide-converter increases the field of view by 30% for indoor shots. There are three shooting modes; normal video mode for any typical application, digital photo mode to capture more than 700 brilliant digital pictures, and frame movie mode to capture videos at 30 frames per-second non-interlaced, perfect for those who need to grab high-quality images from videos for making prints, adding website content, or sending images over the Internet. It can also capture 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratios. Other features include programmed auto exposure, time code recording, a remote control and an accessory shoe to add an optional flash.
- Power Supply (rated): 7.2 V DC
- Power Consumption (While recording AF="ON"): 6.7 W (using viewfinder), 7.4 W (using LCD screen)
- Television System: EIA standard (525 lines, 60 fields) NTSC color signal
- Video Recording system: 2 rotary heads, helical scanning system, DV system (Consumer digital VCR SD system Digital component recording)
- Audio Recording system: PCM digital sound: 16 bit (48 kHz/2 ch); 12 bit (32kHz/4 ch)
- Image Sensor: 3CCD 1/4" Pixel Shift (charge coupled device); 270,000 pixels (250,000 effective pixels)
- Tape Format: Videocassettes bearing the (MiniDV) mark
- Tape Speed; SP: 3/4ips (18.81 mm/s); LP: 1/2ips (12.56 mm/s)
- Maximum Recording Time (with an 80-min. cassette); SP: 80 minutes (with an 80-inch cassette); LP: 120 minutes (with an 80-min cassette)
- Fast Forward/Rewind time: 2 min. 50 sec (with a 60-min cassette)
- Lens: F/1.6 - 2.9, 20 x power zoom, 4.2-84mm
- Focusing System: TTL autofocus, manual focusing possible
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 3ft 3 3/8 in. (1m), 3/8 in (1cm) on maximum wide angle
- Frame Rate: 1/15,000 sec
- Minimum Illumination: 6 lux
- Recommended Illumination: More than 100 lux
- Filter Diameter: 58 mm
- Viewfinder: 0.55-inch, color LCD (approx. 180,000 pixels)
- LCD Screen: 2.5 in measured diagonally (6.4 cm), 122, 000 pixels (approx)
- Microphone: Stereo electret condenser microphone
- DV Terminal: Special 4-pin connector (based on IEEE 1394)
- Video Terminal: 1 Vp-p/75 ohms unbalanced
- S-video Terminal: 1 Vp-p (Y signal), 0.286 Vp-p (C signal)
- Audio Terminal: -10dBV, less than 3 kohms, unbalanced
- Operating Temperature range: 32 - 104° F (0-40° C)
- Dimensions: 4 5/8 x 5 3/8 x 10 3/4 in. (117 x 135 x 272 mm)
- Weight (fully loaded): 2 lbs 12 1/8 oz. (1.25 kg)
User Reviews (1)
Extensive set of manual controls enables professional results
Optical image stabilization is largely superior to that of competitors' models, virtually eliminating jitter effects
Color is warm and natural, with deep blacks
Comparable to much more expensive camcorders in picture and sound quality
Frame mode allows progressive (non-interlaced) recording with film-like appearance
3 CCDs represents distinct advantage in image quality over competitors
Minor problems with sound quality if volume is low or in settings with high levels of noise, and no manual audio controls
Produces mixed results in low-light conditions
You may also like...