Coolsat 8100HD micRo PVR
Released October, 2007
The Pros:Access FTA (free) programming from both satellite and ATSC. Supports HD programming. Includes PVR, and "trick mode" functionality for pausing, rewinding live TV.
The Cons:Setup can be fairly difficult for a novice. External HDD must be formatted in FAT32 which imposes a 4.1 GB file-size limitation (38 mins. of HD). You have to buy a separate hard drive - not included.
The Coolsat 8100HD micRo PVR is a FTA receiver capable of tuning both ATSC and satellite signals for free. Released in the fall of 2007, the 8100HD supports HD television broadcasts and includes PVR functionality by attaching an external USB hard drive up to 500 GB.
Loading latest prices from ProductWiki...
It is compatible with DiSEqC 1.0 and 1.2 protocols allowing you to connect up to 16 satellite sources with a single coaxial input. The 8100HD has HDMI and component outputs, and supports resolutions up to 1080i.
- Outputs: HDMI, Component, RCA, S/PDIF digital optical
- MPEG 2 & MPEG 4 Support High Definition (ATSC Only)
- Digital Terrestrial(ATSC) & Satellite Set-Top-Box(TS combo)
- Multiple Video Outputs HDMI, RGB, Ypbr, S-Video & CVBS
- Seletable output for 1080i, 720P, 576P and 576i format
- Tunes & Decodes all 18 ATSC broadcast formats
- Max 500 GB external USB 2.0 Host Hard Disk Drive (Fat32 format)
- Premium Grade VFD displaying 12 character(CH #, CH name & Local Time), Recording mode(Record & Play mode)
- Status Icons(TV/Radio, Dolby Sound and Left HDD capacity)
- Play back a recorded file at PC
- Dolby Digital(AC3) 5.1 Channel Surround Sound via optical
- Aspect ratio adjustment 4:3 (16/9 crop), 4:3 (16/9 letterbox), 16:9 (4/3 pillar box)
- User friendly OSD and operation.
- Favorite channel selections.
- S/W upgrade through USB 2.0 port and RS-232
- Parental Guide and rating control.
- Picture in Picture support (Aux input/optional)
- Electronic Program Guide
- DiSEqC 1.0 & or DiSEqC 1.2
- Flash memory 4MB
- DDR RAM 128MB (DDR400 16MX16) X 4ea
- Universal Remote Control
- Smart Card Reader (Option)
To record television broadcasts you must purchase a separate, compatible external USB 2.0 hard drive. This hard drive is limited to a maximum size of 500 GB and must be formatted in FAT32. Because of the FAT32 restriction, no recording can exceed 4.1 GB in size, limiting HD recording to 38 minutes. Standard Definition recording can be hours long. There is speculation that a newer version of the player's software will automatically split the recording into multiple files as a way around the FAT32 restriction. The files are are stored in a .TS unencrypted format, capable of being archived and played back on your PC and other devices.
To begin viewing FTA satellite programming, you must also purchase a separate satellite dish, one or more LNB receivers, coaxial cabling and optional DiSEqC switch. The satellite dish must be mounted outside with line-of-sight to Geocentric satellites. Once the dish has been mounted and connected to the Coolsat 8100HD, the satellite dish and LNB must be pointed at a satellite and positioned for a maximum signal strength using the installation menu in the 8100s software and on-screen guide. Select the appropriate LNB type and satellite from the settings, and scan for channels.
User Reviews (4)
Access FTA (free) programming from both satellite and ATSC
Includes PVR, and "trick mode" functionality for pausing, rewinding live TV
Connect up to 16 satellite sources
Setup can be fairly difficult for a novice
External HDD must be formatted in FAT32 which imposes a 4.1 GB file-size limitation (38 mins. of HD)
You have to buy a separate hard drive - not included
You may also like...